Monday, June 30, 2014

 

Emma's Back! "Perfection Does Not Exist"


Emma Samuelson


Guest Blogger Emma Samuelson is back with an inspiring post that claims Perfection does not exist!

Emma is a singer-songwriter from California who writes her own songs, sings and plays guitar. Check out the excellent music and ASL videos on her YouTube channel! In Emma's own words, "I am a spiritual person and I love music, listening to it, creating it, and everything about it." Her love of music is obvious in her videos!

Please use this link to see a list of ALL guest blog posts by Emma Samuelson.

Now, Emma tells us about three popular videos that show how some individuals deal with being less than perfect in the eyes of much of society. Read Emma's excellent article, watch the great videos and remember the dream of Martin Luther King Jr - there will come a time when we do not simply look at someone's exterior features, but we will look inside and see "the content of their character."


"Perfection Does Not Exist"


Everyone has their own idea of what is “normal” or “beautiful” in the world. However, when it comes to physical appearance, society has a large impact on how we view people’s bodies and what constitutes a “perfect” one. We are constantly seeing images of models and celebrities that have rock hard abs, acne-free skin, and a size 2 waistline… but the truth of the matter is, every single human body that resides on this planet is unique in a certain way. Despite the fact that acceptance of others is a trend on the rise, people are still very quick to judge, assume and mock others for what they look like, their style, or even a disorder or disability they may have. Not only can disorders and disabilities make daily life more challenging, but with the dramatic attention received by others, whether it be mean-spirited or not, can cause low self-esteem in those living with that difference.

Cheri, who lives with Vitiligo, a skin pigment disorder, opens up and speaks out about her disorder and how she has moved past the “abnormality” of her appearance. Instead, Cheri challenges us to be confident and embrace our appearance as is in order to fully occupy a life worth living.



Looking further into how we categorize normalcy, a Swiss charity organization entitled Pro Infirmis has helped to raise more awareness around people living with disabilities, challenging the stereotypes that are often more crippling than the disabilities themselves. One project they conducted has received much global attention with the title: “Because Who is Perfect? Get Closer.” Five people living with disabilities were measured, and mannequins were then sculpted using those measurements. The results are very telling in regards to people’s reactions as well as reframing our idea of perfection.



Cassandra, another Dermablend Camo Confession subject, opens up about her acne and really shows how much others intolerance has affected how she saw herself. Just like Cheri, Cassandra emphasizes the importance of self-love and self-worth. One thing she does point out in particular is that she no longer uses make up to hide herself, but instead uses it as a tool of self expression, a perspective that is much more beneficial to one’s confidence.



Ultimately, physical appearance standards need to be challenged; just like a wild horse, stereotypes must be broken. Regardless of what you have said, done or thought in the past, the next time you see someone who looks different than you, send them love and give them a smile. Also, the next time you look at yourself in the mirror and find something you do not like or judge, send that area love to support and affirm your unique beauty. If you take one thing away from these videos, remember what Cassandra said: “A huge misconception in the world is that we think that perfection exists.”

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Here it is middle of the night and I decide to check out what is new. I must say, just READING this post was great! I have had my bouts with self esteem, so reading this was nice. I look forward to watching the videos, when I am more awake, and add a comment on them. Am glad more people are aware of how much stereo-typing there is.
 

Thanks for the nice comment, pixiegirl! This is an important topic and we want to raise awareness of the issue of how people are judged and how people see themselves. We like to cover the funny and cute YouTube videos and of course lots of music videos, but we like to report on socially relevant issues as well. Thanks for visiting our site and thanks again for the comment!
 

I apologize for the delay in watching and commenting on the videos, as I had promised. Being in the shoes of someone who was teased and called names, even by younger kids, I know first hand how hard it was to LIKE what I saw in the mirror. It was a work in progress to turn that around, mostly thanks to very caring friends. I applaud the women who made the videos. I did not start wearing makeup to cover my face until in my early twenties. It was then that I wondered what all the "beautiful" women looked like without makeup. We are all humans and should never be looked at, or treated, any different than the next person! Now for the video on the mannequins. My emotions almost caught up to me as I watched the making of each and every one. I was shocked to see the reaction from the people walking by the windows! Do they think they are any different? Well, they are not! Why is it that some people "look" for a reason to treat others like they are from another planet? The sad part is, some grew up not knowing better. The parents did not teach their kids that we are all human, no matter how a person may look. You better believe this is something I teach my own child! God bless all those in the video. You are all beautiful!
 

These are, perhaps, some of the most moving videos and post I have ever seen. Though some 'imperfections' may not be so physically dramatic as those in the videos, the mental and emotional toll is. I have struggled with self esteem for as long as I can remember. However, because of this post and the people posting it, I feel more confident in myself. 
I, like pixiegirl, applaud those in the videos, they are all hereos! I also applaud the store in which the mannequins were displayed. Unfortunately, I was not shocked by the reactions to the mannequins in the window; I see it too often. I was more angry. Perhaps if more people would "walk a mile" in someone else's shoes, they would be more compassionate, less righteous.
Kenny, this post tells a second story. Only a person who is compassionate would consider having a post like this so prominent on his or her site. I thank you and Emma for bringing these videos to me. The world need more people like you. I like what I see on YouTube Stars. Consider yourselves stars in my eyes. 
 

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this YouTubeStars post!






This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

YouTube™ is a trademark of YouTube, LLC.
YouTubeStars and YouTube are not affiliated in any way.